It is currently Sun Dec 21, 2014 3:43 pm

Welcome to TalonAirgun.com Guest!    Register  Or performs the  Login       

Information: The foremost Website for the discussion and tuning of AirForce Airguns

Is your gun inaccurate? accurate, accuracy

If you need a quick answer to something or want to find out a quick piece of information that you think will have already been answered, try here first.

Moderators: PANDEMIC, WalkonKing, Y

Is your gun inaccurate? accurate, accuracy

Postby WalkonKing » Tue Jun 24, 2008 4:13 pm

Gun accuracy sucks? Things to consider

This is for the Talon/Condor air rifle.

1. Check to make sure pellet skirt is seated flush to the barrel
2. Close the bolt to the same side consistently.
3. Test gun with Kodiaks, Crosman Premieres and JSBs.
4. Make sure the top hat is not loose.
5. Barrel set screws should be snug, there are 4 of them.
6. Check the scope for accuracy including the parallax setting. Scopes are often the cause of POI shifts.
7. Clean the barrel and then put a 12+ shots through it before testing for accuracy again.
8. Check he crown. Put a q-tip in the muzzle and pull it out. Does it tear the cotton off the q-tip? If so the crown has a burr. Look as the crown and be sure it is concentric and even throughout.
9. Check Bolt and make sure it has 2 o-rings and they are sealing against the barrel.
10. If you have a shroud or baffles remove them and test accuracy again. If accuracy returns then the pellet is clipping the baffle.
11. Don’t fill the tank to 3000psi and try filling only to 2800psi.
12. Empty the tank completely. To do this place a bolt or a couple of dimes in your air-source adapter and slowly screw in the tank until it begins to hiss. Stop and let the tank empty. No using your thumb push down on the valve stem and make sure it is moving freely inside the valve and not binding and getting stuck.
13. Trigger technique. Only pull with the area directly behind the finger nail of the index finger. No jerking or snatching the trigger.
14. When shouldering the gun be aware and undue pressure from the shoulder and trigger hand can cause influence the barrel alignment and results in a Point of Impact shift. So cradle the gun very lightly.
15. When shooting off a rest place the gun forearm on the rest and not on the frame.
16. If using a bipod place the bipod as close to the forearm as possible.
17. Try having something on your tank to provide a consistent cheek weld. I use a foam pellet holder.

If anyone has more ideas and recommendations post them here and then I will compile them and place them in the Quick Reference Section for future use.
Last edited by WalkonKing on Tue May 12, 2009 8:44 pm, edited 2 times in total.
BUY MY CREATIONS :) Email Hexcanemaker@hotmail.com
Maker of the "WokButt" and "WokGard 15" Check it out==> viewtopic.php?t=9980
WalkonKing

Postby AKULA » Tue Jun 24, 2008 4:32 pm

Ensure the rifle is not canted left or right when shooting. Canting a rifle will change the point of impact.

Never let WOK stand behind you while shooting. He becomes much too excited and will touch you in inappropriate places. This will throw off your accuracy. AKULA
Random avatar
AKULA

Postby WalkonKing » Tue Jun 24, 2008 4:35 pm

AKULA wrote:Ensure the rifle is not canted left or right when shooting. Canting a rifle will change the point of impact.

Never let WOK stand behind you while shooting. He becomes much too excited and will touch you in inappropriate places. This will throw off your accuracy. AKULA

True :lol:
BUY MY CREATIONS :) Email Hexcanemaker@hotmail.com
Maker of the "WokButt" and "WokGard 15" Check it out==> viewtopic.php?t=9980
WalkonKing

Postby Ambush Hunter » Tue Jun 24, 2008 6:41 pm

I'd say also apply basic military BRASS system.

B-breathe
R-relax
A-aim
S-squeeze
S-surprise
Random avatar
Ambush Hunter

Postby Mr-lama » Tue Jun 24, 2008 10:05 pm

Shoot another gun and see if it's accurate or not. If not, chances are, you suck at shooting. :P
Mr-lama
Head Boy

Postby get the blue jay » Wed Jun 25, 2008 12:56 am

Mr-lama wrote:Shoot another gun and see if it's accurate or not. If not, chances are, you suck at shooting. :P

HAY, quit talking about me like that :D
Aim Small - Miss Small
Rest In Peace Spackels....1999 - 2010
get the blue jay

Postby rob3dr » Wed Jun 25, 2008 7:40 am

Mr-lama wrote:Shoot another gun and see if it's accurate or not. If not, chances are, you suck at shooting. :P

Actually, there is a lot... LOT.... of truth to that. I've seen more than a few folks who complain that their gun is inaccurate only to find that they just suck.

When I was doing range control in the Army, I saw it all the time. We'd have them practice dry fire by balancing items on the rifle and having them to dry fire without knocking over the small item... tried every trick I could with some of them, but I dont know that you can correct 'suck'.
All those who believe in psychokinesis, raise my hand.

Good judgment comes from experience; experience usually comes from bad judgment.

75%.... I can deal with the smell.
rob3dr

Postby ribbonstone » Wed Jun 25, 2008 9:02 pm

Going to toss my two cents in...take it with a grain (or 14.3) of salt.

Field rest, bench rest, or off hand, the only way I can get consistently decent groups out of mine is to:
1. Pull the rifle firmly back to my shoulder with my "off" hand. Not big-bore centerfire firm, but more than .22 rimfire firm.
2. Barely wrap my hand around the grip..contact, but a very soft grip.
3. Good firm face contact.

Of course, will need to test several pellets...in my case, this .20 likes the common Benjamin Cylindericals (which is fine by me).

Do those three things, and the groups are small and the point of impact doesn't vary from off hand to benchrest. Even lowered the scope (changed mounts) to get a bit more cheek.
Random avatar
ribbonstone

Postby Saugus18 » Wed Jun 25, 2008 9:07 pm

I know worn out breach seals/o-rings can contribute to consistant accuracy problems. I noticed that my top hat quickly gets covered in black residue that I wipe off quite often. I'm sure it's from the breach O-ring that covers it every shot. Anyone else see this? I'm wondering if it's a sign of the seal rubber breaking down, resulting in possible air leaks.
Saugus18

Postby RiffRaff » Wed Jun 25, 2008 9:20 pm

Saugus, I think the black residue is from lead dust mixing with the lube.

I too recently found out my o-rings were shot. After replacing and fresh lube, the gun started shooting better than it ever had.

-----

One thing I can add to the list. Be sure your barrel bushings fit snug inside the frame. If there is slop, wrap a single wrap of scotch tape around the bushing, dont overlap the ends, and try the fit again. The bushing should still slide into the frame, but almost airtight.

This single mod helped my gun a bunch. If you have stock delrin bushings, you probably need to try this.
A unique SS. Who needs a bullpup?

RiffRaff

Postby Saugus18 » Wed Jun 25, 2008 9:59 pm

Yeah, i'm gonna replace those breach seals with fresh ones, certainly can't hurt. I've been thinking about doing that for sometime now anyway.
Saugus18

Postby edward » Thu Jun 26, 2008 3:38 pm

how many shots did your gun have before the o-rings were worn, i have 10000 shots on my gun, or is there a way to test for this?
Gun control is hitting what you aim at!
edward

Postby Saugus18 » Thu Jun 26, 2008 3:57 pm

edward wrote:how many shots did your gun have before the o-rings were worn, i have 10000 shots on my gun, or is there a way to test for this?

Can't remember who, but someone here awhile back brought up the 'flame' test. You take a match, or lighter flame and put it very close to where the closed breach meets the top hat, and dry fire your gun. When I do this, the flame gets blown out immediatly, meaning a air leak either with the breach seals, or the valve stem seal that is recessed in the valve. I'm hoping it's the breach seals, because that's a lot easier to take care of.
Saugus18

O-ring sizes

Postby A*L*F » Thu Jun 26, 2008 7:17 pm

Just off hand, does anyone know the o-ring sizes for the breech and valve stem seals? Curious and mine (one or more of them) are leaking. Are they available generically or should they be ordered from Air Force?

Thx.

Abe
A*L*F

Postby RiffRaff » Thu Jun 26, 2008 11:00 pm

Actually, PM Anthony here and tell him you want some 90 durometer breech seals.

He offered to mail them to anybody a while back.

When I got my new barrel from him, he included a pair. I put them in a few weeks ago, very easy to do.
A unique SS. Who needs a bullpup?

RiffRaff

O-rings

Postby A*L*F » Fri Jun 27, 2008 5:27 am

RiffRaff

Anthony266??

Abe
A*L*F

Re: O-rings

Postby Saugus18 » Sat Jun 28, 2008 12:15 pm

A*L*F wrote:RiffRaff

Anthony266??