Atn x sight 2

Talk about Scopes, Optics, Nightvision and Lasers here.

Moderators: PANDEMIC, WalkonKing, Y

Mickey46

Atn x sight 2

Postby Mickey46 » Tue Apr 26, 2016 12:21 am

Considering purchasing an Atn x sight gen 2, and was wondering if anyone has had any experience with the generation 2 models. I am gearing up for yotes and rabbits for the summer. Any other info would be greatly appreciated. Mdh

Zilog

Re: Atn x sight 2

Postby Zilog » Tue Apr 26, 2016 4:54 pm

I have not used the new one yet but from what i understand they still have the same issue that all IR digital scopes appear to have of poor gain and short battery life. if your just planning to use it for pest control then its not a big deal as you can just strap a nice IR touch on your gun and carry around some some extra power if required. I would however not consider it for long range hunting or self defense.

AndyHunter
New User

Postby AndyHunter » Tue May 17, 2016 11:11 am

Hi, Mickey46! I use sight ATN X-SIGHT II HD 3-14X (http://www.atncorp.com/smart-hd-weapon-sight). I use this sight 6 months. I am pleased this equipment.

Mickey46

Postby Mickey46 » Fri Jul 29, 2016 11:53 pm

Update, purchased the 5-20x about 3 weeks ago, am having a blast with it. It is perfect for my personal need, which right now is killing rabbits from 60-95 yds in the dark. Shot 6 times killed 5. I don't do much better than that in the day time . I think I will keep it.mdh

onebaddj

Postby onebaddj » Tue Oct 18, 2016 3:09 pm

So after a couple months how do you like it? How are the videos and pics? Can you really use it during the day? I like my armasight vampire but duringnthe day is no beuno.
"I wanst born with enough middle fingers"
Marolyn Manson.

charlie101

Postby charlie101 » Fri Nov 18, 2016 11:11 am

Is it lighter than gen 1? I remember the Gen 1 is about 4 lbs.
Accuracy is key to success

BeemanR7

Postby BeemanR7 » Fri Feb 03, 2017 8:02 pm

I have an ATN X Sight II on the way. I'll let you know what I experience as soon as I can. But, before I can do that, I need to find out what adapter I need to mount it on my Airforce Condor. The Condor has a dovetail mounting rail. But the ATN X Sight II has Picatinny. I'm not sure what other Condor shooters are using to adapt the scope to the gun. Can anybody here help me?

Rrdstarr

Postby Rrdstarr » Fri Feb 03, 2017 8:20 pm

BeemanR7 wrote:I have an ATN X Sight II on the way. I'll let you know what I experience as soon as I can. But, before I can do that, I need to find out what adapter I need to mount it on my Airforce Condor. The Condor has a dovetail mounting rail. But the ATN X Sight II has Picatinny. I'm not sure what other Condor shooters are using to adapt the scope to the gun. Can anybody here help me?

Real easy to mount on the Condor with these:
http://www.airgunsource.com/utg-11mm-to-weaver-picatinny-adapters-2pc/dp/1522
Pardini K10, (4) Crosman MK I .22, Brocock Concept .22, Talon SS .22, TalonP .25, Mrodair CP-1M .22 and .177

BeemanR7

Postby BeemanR7 » Fri Feb 03, 2017 11:26 pm

Rrdstarr wrote:
BeemanR7 wrote:I have an ATN X Sight II on the way. I'll let you know what I experience as soon as I can. But, before I can do that, I need to find out what adapter I need to mount it on my Airforce Condor. The Condor has a dovetail mounting rail. But the ATN X Sight II has Picatinny. I'm not sure what other Condor shooters are using to adapt the scope to the gun. Can anybody here help me?

I'm sorry to be so thick headed, but, I don't have any experience with Picatinny. Here is what is on my Condor right now: https://www.amazon.com/Airforce-AirForc ... 51G47SJS38

My Airforce brand scope mounts to this Airforce Tri-rail riser with 11 mm dovetail rings. Do I to take this Tri-rail off first?, or does the adapters that you suggested mount between the Tri-rail (dovetail to dovetail riser called the Airforce tri-rail) and the X Sight? I'm having difficulty visualizing how these adapters work. It's not your fault. It's just my lack of experience.

The Airforce Tri-rail that is on the gun has what appears to be 2 separate dove tails; one above the other. The top one is 11 mm. But right below that top 11 mm dovetail rail appears to be another dovetail rail that measures a little over 3/4 of an inch. What's that wider dovetail rail for? The reason that I ask is that somewhere I saw a picture of the bottom mounting area on the X Side and it appears that the picatinny part can be removed with two screws, and then it appears that the scope could then fasten directly to the wider of the two dovetails on the Tri-rail. Is that possible?

I think I'll call ATN and ask them if I can remove that picatinny part from the X Site without exposing the internals of the scope and just mount the scope directly to the wider of the two dovetail rails on that Airforce Tri-rail riser.

On the ATN website, where it describes the mount, it says, "Picatinny, interchangeable". Does that mean that it can be interchangeable to a 3/4 inch wide dovetail?

Do any of you guys know what "interchangeable" means in their description of their Picatinny mount?

The adapters that you list above seem to be pretty short in length. The mounting area on the bottom of the X Sight appears to be about 4 inches or so long, maybe longer. At best it would appear to me that it would take at least 2 of those adapters to bear the load of the X Sight. If I were to put one of those near the rear of the scope, and another toward the front of the scope, that would require possibly a third one in between to engage the Picatinny part of the scope.

Am I making any sense?

Thank you guys for trying to help me. This would be a whole lot easier if I even had a clue how all this works. Until now, I've never used anything but 11 mm dovetail rings and mounts. I've never had a Picatinny anything. So, adapting a Picatinny scope to a dovetail rail is all new to me. Please keep trying. I'll eventually be able to comprehend.

BeemanR7

Postby BeemanR7 » Fri Feb 03, 2017 11:35 pm

Here's what I found: https://www.amazon.com/Airforce-AirForc ... B008JH12JO

This is what others use. I could use it too. But it's ridiculously expensive in my view and more than likely, not necessary, especially if the Picatinny part of the X Sight scope can be removed and can then be mounted directly to the wider of the two dovetails on my Airforce Tri-rail.

Am I barking up the wrong tree?

BeemanR7

Postby BeemanR7 » Sat Feb 04, 2017 11:27 pm

Rrdstarr wrote:

Rrdstarr,
I've looked at these adapters long enough to finally comprehend how they work. They come in pairs. I think all I have to do is remove the existing AirForce Tri-rail (riser) and simply mount the X Sight on the dovetail rail machined into the frame of the gun using these inserts. I'll locate one toward the front of the scope and one toward the back and not even bother putting one in the middle to engage the Picatinny lug on the scope. I think I'm going to order a set of these and try them. Thanks for your help, sir.

Mickey46

Postby Mickey46 » Tue Feb 07, 2017 7:54 pm

Just an update about how I mounted my Atn on the talon. Bought 1 sniper rail mount adapter dovetail to picatinny adapter from Amazon $8.49 . I bought 2 of these thinks my I might need both but only ended up using 1. I highly recommend using the picatinny mount, I take my scope off quite often and every time I put it back on it is dead on. Mdh
This mounts on top of the existing dovetail rail. I like it that way because it raises the scope up a little higher.

Rrdstarr

Postby Rrdstarr » Wed Feb 08, 2017 6:15 pm

Mickey46 wrote:Just an update about how I mounted my Atn on the talon. Bought 1 sniper rail mount adapter dovetail to picatinny adapter from Amazon $8.49 . I bought 2 of these thinks my I might need both but only ended up using 1. I highly recommend using the picatinny mount, I take my scope off quite often and every time I put it back on it is dead on. Mdh
This mounts on top of the existing dovetail rail. I like it that way because it raises the scope up a little higher.

Any way you could upload pictures of your setup?
If not PM me and I can post in your name.

Rick
Pardini K10, (4) Crosman MK I .22, Brocock Concept .22, Talon SS .22, TalonP .25, Mrodair CP-1M .22 and .177

Rrdstarr

Postby Rrdstarr » Thu Feb 09, 2017 7:46 pm

Mickey's setup:
Attachments
ATNsightb.jpg
ATNsighta.jpg
ATNsight.jpg

scirroco

Postby scirroco » Fri Feb 10, 2017 9:43 am

Rrdstarr wrote:Mickey's setup:

Looks.like.an abortion gone wrong!
I hope your only shooting at one set distance with it that high??
Rgds steve

Mickey46

Postby Mickey46 » Sat Feb 11, 2017 11:26 pm

4.5 inches above bore. Dead on at 35 yds. 2 in low at 95 yds. Shot at 9 rabbits at various ranges in dark. Killed 8 I am pleased with it . Works for me, that's all that matters.

BeemanR7

Postby BeemanR7 » Sun Feb 12, 2017 1:02 am

Mickey46 wrote:4.5 inches above bore. Dead on at 35 yds. 2 in low at 95 yds. Shot at 9 rabbits at various ranges in dark. Killed 8 I am pleased with it . Works for me, that's all that matters.

Mickey46,

Just wondering if you've tried the internal ballistics calculator? If so, is it able to automatically adjust your reticle to compensate for the 4.5 inch vertical distance between the center line of the scope and the center line of the bore?

The reason I ask is because that question was posed to me by someone in another forum. His concern was that the scope rail on the Condor is already pretty high above the bore. Adding a picatinny adapter would only make that distance even higher. His concern was that the ballistics calculator in the scope may not be capable of that much compensation at all reasonable ranges.

I suppose I should download the manual and see what the manufacturer says about how much vertical compensation the ballistics calculator is capable of. But I'd like to know your experience with it.

I understand that for shooting rabbits at different distances it might be just as easy to hold over or under, rather than dial in the range each time and let the scope do all the work. I think a guy would miss a lot of shots if he took the time to dial in the range each time.

At any rate, I've opted for the "no rise" inserts so I can attach the ATN X Sight II directly to the factory scope rail so as to minimize the distance between the centerline of the scope and the centerline of the bore. My hope is that the centerline to centerline distance will be well within the range of the internal ballistics calculator's ability to compensate for that rise.

I have installed Tony's tank adapter to lower the air tank. That should allow me to mount the X Sight directly to the factory scope rail without crowding me too much.

My X Sight should arrive Tues or Wed this week. By then maybe I will have answered my own questions.

Thanks

Tom

Ginuwine

Postby Ginuwine » Sun Feb 12, 2017 1:24 am

Because of the retical choices I would think you would have to enter a range for just about every shot. That's just my thought, i saw some of the mil-dot reticules and they didn't look too usable to me. If you where ratting and had it set for an optimum zero lets say 23 yards and everything from 17 thru 30 yards was plus or minus half of mil-dot then no yards required. BUT if you are rabbit hunting from 50-100 yards i would definitely range each shot, the darkness helps both you and the bunnies so you should have time to get it right. All a guess but i'm going to order one of these scopes in the next couple of months.
.22 Kalibr Cricket std - Hawke Varmint 4x16.
.25 Vulcan Tactic - MTC Optisan Viper 6x24.
.25 FX Impact - SWFA 16x42.

Mickey46

Postby Mickey46 » Sun Feb 12, 2017 2:58 pm

I have not explored the ballistic function of the scope. Might do so when I start swapping between pellets and cast slugs.
The scope center is 2.25 in above the base , so it is pretty high to begin with. I have the TTTA also. With my setup I rest my chin on the tank rather than my cheek.
I tried the mil dot reticle and did not like it. just personal preference.
I have enjoyed the scope, it is not a $2-3000 scope, but for my pocket and situation it will do. I was content with the bushnell elite 6-24x mil dot and a magchargerLED flashlight strapped to the barrel until everything got skittish the moment a light came on. Now they don't have a clue till it hits them. :-P Mickey <><

kris

Postby kris » Tue Feb 14, 2017 1:29 pm

for the money maybe i would fit the leupold thermal vision instead
Vulcan .177
Vulcan .25 wow
HW100KS .22 with BSA barrel
HW100KT .177 with long BSA barrel and A&M cylinder

Return to “Optics/Nightvision”