Taipan Mutant vs. Edgun Matador R3

Moderators: PANDEMIC, Wingman NZ

endothelium

Re: Taipan Mutant vs. Edgun Matador R3

Postby endothelium » Tue Feb 14, 2017 12:45 pm

Thanks Darryl and Cricket.

I am spoiled by the FFP scope, and I like Bushnell G2 reticle. I sent the scope back to them for adjustment and hope to get it back soon.

The UTG big wheel, especially the old version, is right size for the Bushnell Tactical Elite - a snug fit. The newer version (lighter weight) is slightly loose, it only has two small screws to fix the wheel. The parallel knob of the scope is not protruding out enough so the wheel will touch the elevation turret. I put an O-ring shim to solve the issue. I also have re-labelled the yardage on the wheel. Now I just need the scope back…...hurry up Bushnell.

Regards,
Endo

darryl

Postby darryl » Tue Feb 14, 2017 2:46 pm

Endo, you are a serious shooter indeed. I've known other such people. Their discussions of the pursuit of accuracy reflect a deep sense of dedication to the art. I think you are among those people. I'd like to count myself among them, but in reality, I'm just a plinker.
I hope the scope returns in good order and proves to be a good tool for you.

Darryl
no harm came to any Darryl by using his name to hide my secret identity from the NSA, CIA, FBI, Andy, Barney, or Goober

endothelium

Postby endothelium » Thu Feb 16, 2017 11:32 am

Thanks Darryl. I consider myself as a plinker not a serious shooter.
I just like to play with accurate guns…LOL.

I marked the yardage on the wheel while testing the scope and now just printed the label out and temporary taped it to the wheel. I am ready for the action….just needing my scope back. Will keep you posted.

Regards,
Endo

darryl

Postby darryl » Thu Feb 16, 2017 11:53 am

Hi Endo,
Plinker? You? (yeah, right! :biggrinn: ) Now I can hardly wait for you to get your scope back! :winkn: As for the tin of pellets, is that the food the barrel likes? I'll assume so, or you would not have posted the picture. I find the head diameter mix interesting in that the spread seems pretty tight, and below the 5.52 size I'd assumed. A bit of sorting, and finding the head sizes on the tin translated equally downrange? All I can say is you're a higher class plinker than I am! Please keep up the good work. I enjoy your informative posts.
Darryl
no harm came to any Darryl by using his name to hide my secret identity from the NSA, CIA, FBI, Andy, Barney, or Goober

endothelium

Postby endothelium » Sat Feb 18, 2017 9:49 am

Darryl, that tin is sitting on my shooting table for the shorty. I just grabbed it over to let the wheel lean against it, showing the yardage marks. So, there is no special purpose on it. LOL.

I usually measure the head size (about 50 pellets) in all new tins received and mark the percentage of the head size on the tin. So, I could have a record on the accuracy-related pellet issues. My Mutants (shorty and standard) are not that picky, but like 5.50-head the most. Matador’s LW barrel is very picky and likes 5.50 only. JSB’s tin is very inconsistent, most of the tins I got in the past 3 years were smaller head (5.46-5.49 mm), and occasionally, in a lucky order, I could receive 3-4 tins out of 12 tins, with 5.48-5.50 mm head. I haven't received anything > 5.50 JSB for a long long time, so I don't know if >5.50 head could be more accurate at downrange for the Mutant. Making it more complicated, JSB makes two types of skirts, thin vs. thick, and the size of the head base also varies. In my experience with the Matador and Mutant, they seem to perform better (consistence and accuracy) with thin-skirt + larger head base + 5.50 head. So, I spend most of my shooting time, >90%, “plinking” around the yard with the “inferior” pellets --- this qualifies me as a plinker….LOL.

That tin is one of the good tins, high percentage of 5.49-5.50. I have it ready on the shooting table for something that is worth of using it. :winkn:

Endo

darryl

Postby darryl » Sat Feb 18, 2017 12:11 pm

Endo, thanks for the explanation. Makes perfect sense to me. Happy shooting! More to come? :biggrinn:
Darryl

endothelium

Postby endothelium » Mon Mar 13, 2017 11:20 am

The scopes have been returned to Bushnell for repair. I checked the repair status almost every day and it says “Replacement Item on Order” for more a month. I contacted the Repair Service Department to see what is going on, and they said the item is on backorder until April 20. What a joke… Firstly, they have the “defect” scopes, and secondly they did not fixed the scopes first time returning, and now the parts are backordered. They should replace the defect scopes instead of letting me waiting for the parts – taking more than 4 months to fix the scopes (if they indeed will fix it) ….. I am not impressed by their Customer Service – even the scopes have the so-called “life time warranty”.

Cricket

Postby Cricket » Mon Mar 13, 2017 1:04 pm

Sounds terrible, hope they are worth it

Return to “Taipan Mutant”