Shoebox f8 compressor questions.

Moderators: PANDEMIC, WalkonKing, Y

dodge3500

Shoebox f8 compressor questions.

Postby dodge3500 » Thu Feb 16, 2017 10:50 pm

OK guys/gals,I did some trading around and ended up with a new unused shoebox f8 and I got a few questions .First of all my small oiless compressor just took a good dump on me after about 15 years of use and now I need a replacement for the first stage for the f8 and the f8 likes 125psi input but most oiless compressors barely maintain that.My first question is what's a good oiless compressor that will maintain 125 psi input without running it's self to death.i have looked at a 200 psi DeWalt,a 200 psi Ridgid and a 225 psi husky but I have no clue as which one will be ideal and all off them are in the 279$ to 339$ range .OK,my next question, what is a good water separator and decitiant filter for the first stage?

I don't really wanna spend more than I have to but I also just wanna buy it once so any suggestions and advice will be much appreciated.:)

dodge3500

Re: Shoebox f8 compressor questions.

Postby dodge3500 » Fri Feb 17, 2017 5:37 am

I actually look at the California air compressors but they all seem to have a max tank pressure of 125 and a kick on at 90 psi so soon as the shoebox starts pumping it's not receiving its 125 psi for its minimum input pressure or have I misunderstood something?
Thanks

keyser soze

Postby keyser soze » Sat Feb 18, 2017 1:56 am

I used that compressor because Tom Kaye told me to get the one I shared with you. It worked just fine. Sorry, I am not too technical when it comes to compressors, all I can share with you is that I used that compressor for a long time with the shoebox. ( I still have them both, I just do not use the SB anymore).

13brv3
New User

Postby 13brv3 » Sat Feb 18, 2017 9:48 am

This is the only CAT ultra-quiet compressor I found that runs on 110V and has a 150 psi max. They don't list the cut-in pressure, or mention if it's adjustable, so I can't say if it could maintain 120psi or not. Unfortunately it's over $400 everywhere I saw it listed.

http://www.californiaairtools.com/ultra ... at-15020c/

I had a large Craftsman compressor back when I had my F8 years ago. I sold sold off all my pcp gear (because I'm clearly not too smart), and I gave away the large compressor to a friend to keep from having to move it to another state.

My current compressor is a tiny Porter Cable pancake that runs 150 psi with a cut-in around 120 psi. I just got a new F10, and I ran it for the first time today. I set the compressor regulator to 120 psi and only needs to run for 30 seconds, then stops for about 5.5 min, so it's really loafing. It's noisy, but it doesn't take up much space, and it will be tough to beat for $99 with Prime shipping from Amazon.

https://www.amazon.com/PORTER-CABLE-C20 ... 000O5RO1Y/

I can't say what the best separator is. I'm using the same one I used with the old F8. I never saw any water in it, but the big compressor I had before barely ran, and was in an air conditioned workshop with fairly low humidity. This weekend it got a harder test in the basement with the little pancake compressor, but I still didn't see any water collecting in it. It looked like the inside was moist, but not enough to drip to the bottom of the cup. There was plenty of moisture at the input of my high pressure filter, but I don't know if any input water separator can stop that.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B009VQ018U/

Cheers,
Rusty

dodge3500

Postby dodge3500 » Sat Feb 18, 2017 7:14 pm

Thanks guys ,I found a DeWalt 4.6 gallon 200 psi oiless portable compressor refurbished on eBay for 250$ SHIPPED .I found them around here at Lowe's and home depot for 350$ before tax..
I hope it will do.

http://www.dewalt.com/en-us/products/ge ... sor/d55146

Return to “Compressors, tanks and pumps”