Questions - Texan set-up for WhiteTail Deer

Moderators: PANDEMIC, WalkonKing, Y

BigTinBoat
New User

Questions - Texan set-up for WhiteTail Deer

Postby BigTinBoat » Sun Jan 29, 2017 10:25 am

Since Maryland just changed our laws and are now allowing an AirGun to be used for deer and bear hunting as long as it is .40 cal and produces 400fpe I found me a Texan that I traded for. Now my questions.

1) What ammo are you guys using for animals like White tail? The trader included rounds from 350 up to 495g. I'm thinking the 350's will be OK, but from the research I've been doing it looks like the Texan is getting 400fpe with rounds as small as 250. I'm think lighter for less of a rainbow. From 25 out to about 150yds would be my range.

2) What scope are you guys using? On all my other air rifles I use a 16x AO scope as I am shooting as close to 10yds at some times on small objects/critters. For the white tail I'm thinking NON-AO for quickness (and lighter weight) - whitetail seem to come out of cover from no where and then don't stand in one place very long. I'm also thinking of something in the 6-10 range so that I get a bigger field of view, but still have decent magnification for my aging eyes.

What says the Texan owners?

Thanks - can't wait till November when the season opens.

Randbo
New User

Re: Questions - Texan set-up for WhiteTail Deer

Postby Randbo » Mon Jan 30, 2017 1:10 pm

I have had the Texan .457 for over a year now and at first I was not impressed but after finding the bullet that it likes I am pretty happy with it now. It is not a target rifle but plenty good for a hunting gun, I think 150 yds is a little to far but 100 yds no problem, I found the 340-345 gr. bullet cast from a lyman mold works best for me, at about 480 ft. lbs. I usually fill every 2 shots and It will consistently shoot 5 shot groups under 3" at 100 yds. I have tried about a dozen different bullets and a lot of them shoot ok at 50 but terrible at 100 yds. I have shot it out to 200 yds one time and got a 7" 5 shot group but it took 6 ft of elevation to get it there. My daughter and I shot 5 deer with it last fall and it was the most fun I have had deer hunting in years, we shot them from 10 yds out to 83 yds and every one the bullet went through, wanted to stop a bullet in one to check out but didn't happen they are still going. For scope I used a Weaver 3x9 40mm scope made for a muzzleloader that has the parallax adjusted for 50 yds and it worked great for deer hunting but I do a lot of shooting at 100 yds with the gun and the scope looked terrible at that range, so now I have a Weaver tactical scope that is a 3x10 50mm with side focus and Mil dots on it but it is a very heavy scope but I just stand hunt with it so the weight don't matter.

BigTinBoat
New User

Postby BigTinBoat » Tue Jan 31, 2017 12:14 am

Well that stinks, a muzzle loader scope is exactly what I was thinking of. I guess once you go AO it's hard to go back. Good to see the 340 size works. He gave me a bunch of 350's. Hope to get out shooting it soon.

Huntingjeff44
New User

Postby Huntingjeff44 » Tue Feb 14, 2017 2:24 am

Bigtinboat when did md pass it ive been watching this for years i no they put it up last year but I didn't hear it passed. Not doughting you just want to be sure because the 2017 laws still said there legal but must make 1200 ft lbs.

BigTinBoat
New User

Postby BigTinBoat » Tue Feb 14, 2017 8:47 am

Huntingjeff44 wrote:Bigtinboat when did md pass it ive been watching this for years i no they put it up last year but I didn't hear it passed. Not doughting you just want to be sure because the 2017 laws still said there legal but must make 1200 ft lbs.

It passed in November of 2016. You can never fully rely on the Hunting Book DNR puts out. Comar is the law.

Here is the section of Comar that pertains.

http://www.dsd.state.md.us/comar/comarh ... .04.05.htm.

Go down to section "C" where it describes "Firearms". I've pasted that section below. See what I bolded. Basically the Air gun (and Bows) can be utilized during Firearms seasons in both Rifle and Shotgun counties.

C. Firearms.

(1) An individual may hunt deer and black bear only with the firearms in §C(2)—(6) of this regulation, subject to the restrictions provided in §§D and E of this regulation.

(2) A rifle or shotgun propelling one soft-nosed or expanding bullet or ball at a single discharge which generates at least 1,200 foot-pounds of muzzle energy is allowed.

(3) A handgun having a barrel length of 6 inches or longer and ammunition which produces a muzzle energy of 700 foot-pounds or more is allowed.

(4) A muzzle loading rifle or muzzle loading shotgun, not less than .40 caliber and using not less than the equivalent of 60 grains of black powder or a single shot muzzle loading handgun or muzzle loading revolver of not less than .40 caliber with a minimum barrel length of 6 inches and using not less than the equivalent of 40 grains of black powder propelling one soft-nosed or expanding bullet or ball at a single discharge, is allowed. Sabot loads are allowed.

(5) An air gun that:

(a) Propels one .40 caliber or greater bullet or ball at a single discharge which generates at least 400 foot-pounds of muzzle energy; or

(b) Propels an arrow at least 18” in length with a minimum speed of 300 feet per second at release, uses an arrow with a sharpened broadhead with metal points and a minimum width of 7/8 inch, and has a working safety if the device is fired by a trigger.

(6) In Dorchester County only, a shotgun propelling Number 1 size buckshot or larger is allowed.

(7) An individual may use a telescopic sight or electronic aiming device on a firearm.

D. Firearms — Restrictions. In the counties listed below, an individual may not hunt deer with a rifle or handgun, although an air gun, a muzzle loading rifle, a muzzle loading shotgun, a muzzle loading handgun, or a muzzle loading revolver may be used:

Return to “Texan”