It is currently Fri Apr 18, 2014 6:15 pm

Welcome to TalonAirgun.com Guest!    Register  Or performs the  Login       

Information: The foremost Website for the discussion and tuning of AirForce Airguns

Received my "Knock-off" Atlas Bipod today !

All general BullPups chat to go in here.

Moderators: PANDEMIC, WalkonKing, Wingman NZ

Re: Received my "Knock-off" Atlas Bipod today !

Postby steeldreams007 » Tue Jul 02, 2013 2:27 am

Demp223 wrote:Mine was delivered today and I'll pick up from office tomorrow for a thorough once over compared to the real deal before field testing.
I bought it due to being licensed copy and hopefully it will be fine on the less used 22 Matador that I let friends shoot.

Hi Demp.. it would be nice to read your review on GB .. so we can compare different perspectives here..
Random avatar
steeldreams007

Postby zocoloco » Tue Jul 02, 2013 5:25 am

I am interested too !!! :wink:

Postby Demp223 » Tue Jul 02, 2013 7:31 am

I didn't buy the GB clone I got the supposed licensed copy from
http://airsoftcart.com/249-aci-bt10-atlas-bipod.html
Just looking at pics there is a difference in the copies. Be interesting to see how it compares to real deal and your guys GB version.
Edgun Matador R3 22 long-20fpe
Edgun Matador R3 25 long(new reg version)50fpe

TEAM EDGUN
-Field Target, USA-
Demp223

Postby Hoot » Tue Jul 02, 2013 12:48 pm

Demp223 wrote:I didn't buy the GB clone I got the supposed licensed copy from
http://airsoftcart.com/249-aci-bt10-atlas-bipod.html
Just looking at pics there is a difference in the copies. Be interesting to see how it compares to real deal and your guys GB version.

I ordered mine from the place Sir Ville ordered his, but that unit has the quick release lever, which I find convenient when breaking the Cricket accessories down and placing them into the holding pocket on my gun case.

The one in your post shows a thumb screw knob, or some such, to put it off/on. The quick release is arthritic-friendly. That means a lot to me.

When mine arrives, I'll show you what it has, and attempt to give an objective opinion. Quite frankly, a 6-9" regular bipod, with quick a release lever would work just as well, but why not give the piece a try. I can always trade it with one of the young bucks here on the forum for a Harris.

H :shock: :shock: t

PS: Heard cruises/vacation packages to Egypt are a real bargain this week!!!!
"One day I’ll be dead and someone will find this website and think, ‘Wow! That guy was really stupid. Good thing he’s dead.’”
Hoot

Postby Sir Ville » Tue Jul 02, 2013 3:44 pm

Who the hell would like to take a cruise to Egypt ?? The thin mountain air has finally done it on Uncle H :shock: :shock: T´s brain. :mrgreen:
Gamo Hunter 890 cal. 177 ARH/Maccari GRTIII
HW 97 Black Line STL cal. 20 Vortek PG2 SOLD
2 x EdGun Matador R3 cal. 22 SOLD
KalibrGun Cricket WST cal. 25, Delta Ti 4.5-30x50
KalibrGun Cricket Compact cal. 177 on order - to be Crowned with a Delta Ti 4.5-30x50
Sir Ville

Postby SECoda » Tue Jul 02, 2013 4:14 pm

The trips are cheap because it's only a one way ticket. :o

Sir Ville wrote:Who the hell would like to take a cruise to Egypt ?? The thin mountain air has finally done it on Uncle H :shock: :shock: T´s brain. :mrgreen:
SECoda

Postby Demp223 » Tue Jul 02, 2013 6:35 pm

I've been slammed at work but do have the part. Initial inspection it looks a lot like original(from arms length with squinty eyes).
Even has "Atlas Bipod Patented" stamped on base although upside down. The thumb screw quick release base is double spring loaded and works simple enough(looks solid and mounts to rail solid). I have bolt on Atlas model as I rarely remove mine.
The leg collars are flared on bottom like original and being knurling is inverted instead of raised will help in adjustment.
Leg bolts were so tight I could barely move them but a slight turn and now pivot nicely front to back fine. The push adjustment pin is a slightly looser fit and wobbles a bit more through leg than original. The notched adjustment plate is thinner and grooves are not concentric like original but close enough to function adequately but with a touch more play. The plate is also not flat(teeth bent over),see pic.
Feet fit like original but not as good ball detent.
Biggest difference is with ball head as pointed out on other. This one is just like other clone and in order to have any stability must be tightened down enough to not flop around which case it pans side to side but no ability to swivel for level shooting. Even when loosend as far as I can by hand I only get a couple degrees total swivel.
Overall tooling is not a refined,grooves in legs could use slight deburring.
The finish is no where near the original. Just cycling the leg has already started to wear coating in grooves and on legs as bearing ride up and down as well as already worn on QR. My Atlas doesn't even have a scratch and its been on and over everything.
Honestly for the $50 its a very good product due to leg adjustability and ability to pan. The biggest downfall is the pivot joint. Loosing the ability to fine tune leveling of gun on uneven terrain for long shots is very important. We will see how the finish holds up over tome as well. It should be fine for bench or plinking.
For the record I personally would only buy original for my uses.
Clone on top,original on bottom with tilting
Image[/URL]
Last edited by Demp223 on Tue Jul 02, 2013 10:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Edgun Matador R3 22 long-20fpe
Edgun Matador R3 25 long(new reg version)50fpe

TEAM EDGUN
-Field Target, USA-
Demp223

Postby steeldreams007 » Tue Jul 02, 2013 8:15 pm

Looking at the reviews so far, it seems to me that the biggest drawback with the Knock-off Atlas is the TILT feature. The GB atlas costs USD50 or less, and for USD200 more, that feature is available with the original Atlas. :)
Random avatar
steeldreams007

Postby synopsys » Tue Jul 02, 2013 8:23 pm

Which one has the up-side down lettering... :mrgreen:
synthetic-operating-system

TEAM USFT
-Field Target, USA-
synopsys

Postby Sir Ville » Thu Jul 04, 2013 3:53 pm

Tested the much debated knock-off the first time today (although i´ve had it for a while i haven´t had the time/interrest to test it before) at the range and i think it´s great value for the money. It´s far better than the UTG or Harris clones people usually have on their airguns and i´ll order one more of these next time i buy stuff from Greenbase.
Sure it needs little Loctite here and there and so on but it´s , IMO , definitely worth its price. The original costs 550$ in Sweden compared to 45$ incl. the freight for the knock-off. There´s no way in hell the original is twelve times better than the GB piece so i´m happy with my purchase and would not hesitate to recommend one. Invest half an hour of your valuable time to take it apart,lube it, torque the screws and connections correctly and Loctite the needed parts and it´ll work well enough for most. End of story ...

P.S That "licensed" Atlas copy seems to be worse than this unlicensed, outlawed and banned piece.
KalibrGun Cricket Compact cal. 177 on order - to be Crowned with a Delta Ti 4.5-30x50
Sir Ville

Postby SECoda » Fri Jul 05, 2013 9:04 am

I guess there is a slim chance my GB order could arrive today. I am anxious now - especially for the green laser flashlight and also the straight green laser.
SECoda

Postby Sir Ville » Fri Jul 05, 2013 10:09 am

SECoda wrote:I guess there is a slim chance my GB order could arrive today. I am anxious now - especially for the green laser flashlight and also the straight green laser.

Do they actually make gay-lasers as well ?? :shock: Those wiley Chinese buggers ...
Sir Ville

Postby SECoda » Fri Jul 05, 2013 10:45 am

It says right in the instructions - don't drop the soap. :shock: :14:
Sir Ville wrote:
SECoda wrote:I guess there is a slim chance my GB order could arrive today. I am anxious now - especially for the green laser flashlight and also the straight green laser.

Do they actually make gay-lasers as well ?? :shock: Those wiley Chinese buggers ...
SECoda

Postby Sniper308 » Fri Jul 05, 2013 11:53 am

I received my Atlas Bipod from China today. I've looked it over very well and it does appear to be a pretty good copy. Workmanship isn't bad either. However, like others have mentioned it's not quite as solid as the original probably is. I've been thinking for the past hour if I ought to keep it or not or if I ought to just suck it up and buy the genuine thing. At this point I know I wouldn't be happy with this one in the long run so I'm going over to the Yellow and am going to offer it for sale. - Like my wife says, "that's probably why I drive a Mercedes also".
Random avatar
Sniper308

Postby SECoda » Fri Jul 05, 2013 11:59 am

Well I have so many guns that I use every bipod I can get my hands on. I don't need a $250 bipod on all of them. :wink:
SECoda

Postby Urgirlinmyjetta » Fri Jul 05, 2013 1:54 pm

when I get back home tomorrow ill show you what i needed to do in order to have my bipod legs to work properly.
but after my modification the bipod works like a charm.
Edgun matador R3 .22 Cal
Gamo Whisper .177
Qb78 .177
Urgirlinmyjetta

Postby Sir Ville » Fri Jul 05, 2013 2:09 pm

Urgirlinmyjetta wrote:when I get back home tomorrow ill show you what i needed to do in order to have my bipod legs to work properly.

That would be nice! Like i said they need a bit of tweaking but once done will work good enough for most of our application.At least for mine... :wink:
Sir Ville

Postby SECoda » Fri Jul 05, 2013 3:06 pm

I just tweaked a chipmunk and three sparrows with the Cricket. :4:

Sir Ville wrote:
Urgirlinmyjetta wrote:when I get back home tomorrow ill show you what i needed to do in order to have my bipod legs to work properly.

That would be nice! Like i said they need a bit of tweaking but once done will work good enough for most of our application.At least for mine... :wink:
SECoda

Postby glassreef » Sat Jul 06, 2013 3:07 pm

Today is the day I got mine - the knock-off, that is. I must say, for $47 shipped, the fit and finish is good. Better than I'm used to, let's put it that way. By the way, the first thing I noticed; my logo is right side up.8-) Second, the legs were a little wobbly on their axis, there was quite a bit of play in the "swing" of the legs, where they move along the semi-circle indents on the body of the pod, and the mount was way too loose to fit any Picatinny rail I've ever seen. So...

First thing I did was grab the smallest strap wrench I own. Pulled the outer legs down a couple of clicks and, using the strap wrench, tightened the legs as much as could manage. The legs didn't wobble on their axis anymore. Next, I removed both legs with a hex wrench and took out the inner brass washer that sits between the leg and the semi-circle indent do-dad. Using a couple of hole punches, chosen to approximate the inner and outer dimensions of the washer, I made another washer out of 1/16-inch black neoprene - the kind you can get ay most craft store (at least here in the U.S.). Then I put it back together with the home made washer between the brass washer and the body. The bipod was now solid as a rock - no play, no wobble anywhere. I then tightened the mount to fit my rail by, while the lever was in the open position, pushing on the lever. This forces the hex nut, holding the lever, out of its recess. This allows you to screw the in or out until you have the right tension.

This whole process took no more than 15 minutes. Admittedly, I had the tools (screw driver, hex wrench, hole punches, and strap wrench) on hand. I also had the neoprene. When finished, the bipod is every bit as usable (with one exception I'll get to later), 95% optically impressive (I didn't want to say attractive).

So what's missing? The tilt. The knock-off doesn't hack it. There is a point, when the adjustment screw is set "just right", when tilt works - kinda sorta.

So, after all that, let me say that I purchased the real thing from Botache, here in the U.S. for $269. The pod I received had play in the legs. The adjustment screw was so hard to turn that I started getting small blisters on my fingers. I sent it back. I like the knock-off better. A well functioning, attractive (there I said it) bipod with as many features as this one is definitely worth $47. As someone already mentioned, if I want a tilt function, I can go out and spend $220 more - well..... No thanks!

BTW: the pic posted by Demp223 is nothing like the pod I received from Greenbase. Fit and finish are much cruder (sorry Demp) than the one I received and some features are different.

Tom White
Random avatar
glassreef

Postby Urgirlinmyjetta » Sat Jul 06, 2013 4:01 pm

good review...I just got home from chicago...so ill take pics of what i needed to do to my bipod to make it work....like i said all in all its a good bipod as an alternate for $200 bipod.
Edgun matador R3 .22 Cal
Gamo Whisper .177
Qb78 .177
Urgirlinmyjetta

PreviousNext

Return to BullPup General Chat