Q:

.22LR vs. .17HMR Wind drift

Hey, Ive had a little friendly bet with a friend.

He is adamant that a Winchester 40 grain subsonic .22lr bullet will have less drift than a Remington 17 grain .17HMR round.

BC valve for the .22LR is .123 and for the .17HMR is 0.125

Plugging into chairgun, the .22 going 1050fps and the .17 going 2550fps. The .17HMR has less than half the drift than the .22

I have shot both (The .17HMR more) and know that both have their place so try to not go into the “Which is best” argument.

Just some food for thought because the round is often ridiculed about how easily the bullet is blown around in the wind.

Dave

Off Topic

All Replies

Viewing 9 replies - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

Knife,

Never could understand the following of that cartridge, the 22 mag.

In a pistol it is just a 22 lr rifle. A little better than a 22 lr in a rifle, but only if you did not own a reloading press, and you could reload for a 223 as cheaply as buying the anemic little round.

However how many unknowledgeable folks have you heard exclaim “I have a magnum”, only to learn it was a 22 mag!

And the finest example of them all the High Standard 22 mag derringer.

Roachcreek

I no longer own a .22 Mag. 😉

Before the round gained in popularity, it was thought it would be far inferior to the 22 magnum also, expeince proved this incorrect.

I lived in an area for 20 years that was so windy the mosquito’s could bench press 80 lbs, the 17 Hmr was so far superior to the 22lr.

I owned the Bruno copy, with the american style stock for a while, what a marvelous little gun, I used it to control chipmunks that dearly wanted to live inside with me.

It was a wonderful war!

Roachcreek

BC is a calculation taking into account of cross sectional density, basically it does take into account a bullet weight

Thats great knife, I knew I was right, now its time to rub it in his face

Dave

I have both, and I can tell ya, HMR bucks the wind a “LOT” better! 😉

In a 20-25mph side wind the .17 HMR is far less effected at longer ranges than a .22 lr.

Mike

But what about the bullet weight, most of the time the heavier bullet will be affected less, the ballistic coefficient is almost the same so i think the lr would be affected less.

I ran this thru some balistic programs and they all said that the 17 hmr would be affected less, 5 mph crosswind 22lr 2.54 ” at 150 yards, and 17 hmr 1.27”

Go sit down and shoot them both in a crosswind and come back and let us know,

I supose it must do.

I always had the understanding that because of the much faster bullet of the HMR, it would be affected by the wind for a much shorter period of time than the .22LR

Dave

Also, the hmr is going 2.5 times faster so spends a lot less time in the wind to be blown as much.

Does the BC take into account the side area of the round that would be affected by a full on cross wind.

Most of the things I have heard about the 17 is that it is better out further than the 22lr… My semi auto 22LR is awesome at 50 yards but not so awesome at 100…

Viewing 9 replies - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

• You must be logged in to reply to this topic.