My Variant of the Portable Pellet Trap

If you need a quick answer to something or want to find out a quick piece of information that you think will have already been answered, try here first.

Moderators: PANDEMIC, WalkonKing, Y

guykuo

My Variant of the Portable Pellet Trap

Postby guykuo » Wed Jan 11, 2017 1:34 am

After looking over the instructions at http://www.instructables.com/id/Making-a-portable-Silent-Air-Gun-BBPellet-Trap, I built mine with a few modifications.

1. I use rubber mulch for its self-healing capability.

2. Paper target is attached using four ceramic magnets instead of a clipboard.

3. Used nuts, bolts and washers for assembly rather than screws.

Here is how came out...

Paper targets are placed in front. Magnets clamp the target in place against steel rails at top and bottom of the trap.
Removable frame clamps coruplast backer in front of the rubber mulch.

Steel rails mounted at the top & bottom rear of the frame allow clamping of paper targets with rectangular ceramic magnets.

Plastic frame was created from the drainage basin's grilled cover. All the grills were cut away, leaving just the periphery and where its screws go.

Old hacksaw blades had their ends heated and bent 90 degrees to fit the width of the frame's rear. One blade each was used at the top and bottom. Each blade overlaps the frame plastic edges so they have support along their entire length.

Coruplast backer is clamped in place by the plastic frame and two screws. Coruplast is the corrugated plastic compaign signs are often made. Slices easily with a box cutter.

Just place a paper trap in front and apply the magnets. Holds target nice and flat.
Coruplast outlasts cardboard.

GKU

Re: My Variant of the Portable Pellet Trap

Postby GKU » Wed Jan 11, 2017 3:07 am

Cool guykuo !

Nice trap Sir ...... ....

Careful with the rubber mulch traps they have a tendency to settle over time, so try not to fire into the top 1/4th or so.
Also to do a quick fix if the mulch starts to fall out of an enlarged hole just push the mulch back in and just tape off the hole and you're good to go.

I only use rubber mulch traps for up close crony work only and stop using them for target shooting.

I don't like to retrieve my traps in the field, they have been getting damage from the rain/weather and the mulch starts to spill out.

I have been using concrete fill rectangular laundry soap buckets (from Costco) filled 1/3 with concrete and used a car oil disposal box to hold back any fly backs.
The targets are just stapled onto this box and fits the size of a piece of paper (so I print my own targets out) as I shoot I just layer the next one right on top of the old to help hold the stuffing in.
After about 10 tins or so I'll empty the trap out and inspect the condition of the concrete and add a new oil box.
Works great and been happy with this type of trap for many years now.

The trap on the right I leave there in the wind and rain for years. I've made some to take with me to the farm to check my zero and left them there also.

~ Greg
Cricket Compact 177 / SWFA SS 3-15x42 FFP
Subject to change without prior notice .....

guykuo

Postby guykuo » Wed Jan 11, 2017 6:35 am

Thanks for your outdoor trap trips. Mine just gets used indoors. I had been using just a plain, cardboard box filled with the mulch.
Yep I learned about the settling when a pellet pass right through. Also, even with mulch's self healing, it can get drilled through after a many dozens of pellets hit the same spot while measuring a shot string.

I've been thinking about how to install a stealthy trap outside that no one will notice.

GKU

Postby GKU » Wed Jan 11, 2017 10:10 am

The above traps don't make very much impact noise and the neighbors don't hear a thing.
I've been using them at 2 AM to check my zeros before going to the shopping malls to do some pesting.

hum ....... drilled through .. usually mean it's not packed tight enough or the trap needs to be a bit longer/thicker with a 1/4" steel plate back inside of the box helps, when it starts to make a metallic sound u know it's time to give it a shaking.

The one I use for crony work is 16" thick ...

......... ... again nice indoor trap man !
Looking forward in seeing your stealthy outside trap.

~ Greg
Cricket Compact 177 / SWFA SS 3-15x42 FFP
Subject to change without prior notice .....

Return to “Quick Reference”